1. Provide students with 4 choices: Inches, feet, yard, and mile. They choose which one they want to represent and think of a real world object they could measure.
2. Give students think time to choose their unit of measurement, and write it on a sticky note.
3. Have students give 2 or 3 ways they could use the unit they chose to measure an object.
4. Direct students to the designated areas.
5. Once they are in their area with their sticky notes, they pair up with someone in the corner and share their thoughts.